Daulatpur-Saturia Tornado (1989)
On 26 April 1989 a major tornado one mile long destructed cities of Daulatpur and Salturia in Manikganj district of Bangladesh, located north-west of Dhaka.
Around 1,300 people were killed and 80,000 were left homeless. Trees were uprooted and homes within a 6km radius (4 miles) were completely destroyed.
- What are tornadoes? Why is Bangladesh susceptible to tornadoes?
- 2-month long drought forces nationwide prayer for rain
- Daulatpur-Saturia tornado (district of Manikganj, one mile long tornado)
- Around 1,300 people killed, 12,000 injured, and 80,000 left homeless (officially deadliest tornado in world history), relief efforts
- Aftermath: 1996 tornado, Bangladesh's effort to improve weather forecasting