Approximately 3 million people died during the Swadhinata Juddho - Inna lillahi wa inna ilahi rajiun (From Allah we come and to Him is our return). Each one was a hero in their own right. The Government of Bangladesh issues 5 types of award annually in recognition of outstanding achievement and bravery:
- Swadhinata Dibosh Padak / Swadhinata Purushkar (Independence Day Award / Independence Award) - highest state award given to Bangladeshi citizens or organizations in recognition of substantial contribution to one of many fields, including the War of Liberation, the language movement, education, and sports amongst others.
- Bir Srestho (The Most Valiant Hero) - highest military award for an individual. Only awarded to 7 freedom fighters so far who are considered as 'shaheed' (martyrs).
- Bir Uttom (Better among Braves) - second highest award for individual gallantry.
- Bir Bikrom (Valiant hero) - third highest gallantry award.
- Bir Protik (Symbol of Bravery or Idol of Courage) - fourth highest gallantry award.
It is of utmost importance to evaluate the personalities and gallant action of these heroes so that we can also follow their footstep and contribute for the independence and well being of our motherland.
Glossary of terms
- Mukti juddho
- Liberation (freedom) war
- Marti Bhumi
- Bijoy dibosh
- Victory day (dibosh = day)
- Joi Bangladesh
- Victorious Bangladesh
- Arabic for 'voluntary' but used to denote Pakistani collaborators
Be sure to check out...
- Bangladesh Ministry of Liberation War
- Liberation War Museum
- Sector Commander Forum
- Bangladesh Mahila Parishad
- Swadhinata community
- Biography of Sufia Kamal, MAG Osmani, Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, Muzharul Islam, Ziaur Rahman and more!
- Main political parties of Bangladesh
Londoni is not responsible for the content of external sites.