Prof. M. R. Khan has won numerous awards including 15 gold medals and the prestigious Ekushey Padak. For his outstanding contribution in the field of child health, his biography has been included in the International “Who’s Who” of intellectuals by IBC (Biographical Centre), Cambridge, UK since 1987.
15 Gold Medals for outstanding social work and contribution to child health:
- Gold Medal by Satkhira Children Hospital (1986)
- Gold Medal by Sher-E-Bangla Jatiyo Smrity Sangsad (1992)
- Poet Kazi Nazrul Islam National Award and Gold Medal (1993)
- Moulana Tarko Baghis Gold Medal Award (1993)
- Moulana Bhashani Gold Medal (1994)
- Ex Chief Minister Abu Hossain Sarker National Award and Gold Medal (1995)
- Awarded Poet Sorojine Naidu Gold Medal (1997)
- Khan Bahadur Ahsanullah Gold Medal (1998)
- Ibn Sina Gold Medal (March 1999)
- Gold Medal by the Ministry of Social Welfare, Govt. of Peoples Republic of Bangladesh (July 1999)
- Gold Medal by “DHARA” a Social & Cultural Organization in Bangladesh (January 2006)
- Gold Medal by Association of Physician Bangladesh (March 2006)
- Sandoz Gold Medal for valuable contribution in health sector (March 2008)
- Ekushey Gold Medal Award for Social Service (2009)
- Gold Medal by Bangladesh Academic of Science (July 2011)
- Prof. Khan's Biography has been included in the International WHO is WHO of Intellectuals (7th edition) published by Biographical Centre (IBC) Cambridge, U.K. (1987)
- Satkhira Press Club award (1990)
- Satkhira Jono Samity award (1991)
- Association of Pediatrics from South East Asia Region, Manila, award (1991)
- World Astrological Society award (1992)
- Bangladesh Pediatric Association award (1994)
- Made 'National Professor' by Government of Bangladesh (1995)
- Nawab Salimullah Award (2006)
- Bangladesh Pediatric Association award (2006)
- Awarded Scholar of the Year, 2007 by Non Resident Bangladeshi (NRB) (2007)
- Destiny award (2008)
Here is a doctor and a social worker who has won numerous laurels, including 15 gold medals, and numerous awards including the prestigious Ekushey Padak. Even in the mellow years of his life, he is an agile and tireless worker, and he still thinks he has miles to go.
Research and publication
38 research works of Professor Khan has been published in Scientific Journals in home and abroad. He is author and co-author of 9 Academic and popular books on child health including "Essence of Pediatrics" which he co-wrote with Prof. M. Ekhlasur Rahman in 2011.
National Professor of Bangladesh
In 1995 Prof. M. R. Khan was made a National Professor by the Government of Bangladesh.
The 'National Professor' is a prestigious teaching award given by the Government to individual for outstanding contribution on the field of education. The awarded person receive various facilities from the government.
- Receive a fixed amount of salary through the University Grants Commission
- Be able to do any educational/research work in with any research organisation/institute in their choice
- Receive all the facilities from the respected organisations/institutes
- Be able to join any foreign university as visiting professor
- Not be able to take any salary from any other organisations/institutes except the government
- Not be treated as government officers
The first recipient of such a prestigious honour was another great physician: Dr. Mohammad Ibrahim. Known as as the "Father of Diabetes in Bangladesh", Dr. Mohammad Ibrahim was awarded National Professor in 1978.